“Adventure waits for no one.”
-Quote from The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
If you’re anything like me, you dream of the great escape–the glorious adventure–the undisturbed vacation engrossed in beauty. I like to imagine a life filled with long mornings in a quaint and charming bed-and-breakfast with a view, a save-the-world kind of mission with all the right gadgets, and the opportunity to experience different cultures while traveling the world! All this, I want to experience while not tied down by the limits common to our experience as responsible adults.
I’m sure all of the great adventurers at some point experienced limits, obligations, and constraints before they set out on their life of adventure. How does one begin to create a life of adventure out of a busy, demanding and scheduled-out life? As Abraham Lincoln once said, “The best way to predict your future is to create it.” At the core of it, adventure means experiencing life at its deepest possible level with each moment. Adventure happens when we choose to live, not when we live just to get though.
Start your Adventure today:
- Say No: Sometimes, our schedule needs to change before our life can change. You know what feeds your passion and what drains it. Re-evaluate where you spend your time, energy and resources. Even the small things could make a big difference here.
- New Eyes: “Most of us lead far more meaningful lives than we know. Often finding meaning is not about doing things differently; it is about seeing familiar things in new ways.” -Rachel Naomi Remen. What opportunities do you have in your life now that you can use as leverage for growth?
- Try Something Different: Maybe you do need something new in your life.
- Eat at a restaurant you wouldn’t normally visit or try a new recipe with ingredients you’ve never used!
- Take a drive to a city you don’t frequent often and explore everything!
- Redecorate!: Whether your own appearance or your surroundings, what you and others see in your life can affect the way you live. Choose a theme outside of your normal style. You may need an update with a more modern look or maybe a richer and more vintage look (perhaps you would like to check out our British colonial furnishings collection here!). Surround yourself with what inspires you.
- Turn Off GPS: Let yourself get lost. Or, as Amy Poehler says, “Do something before you know you’re ready.” Yes, you might mess up, but you also might learn something you could never have learned otherwise.
What else comes to mind when you think of an adventurous life? What stories do you have that might inspire others? Please feel free to leave a comment with some of your best advice/stories!